We are grateful for our lovely followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday 8 March 2010

Challenge 16 - A Feminine Celebration

Thank You all for your fab entries to our last challenge which was a real tough one hehe! We do like to get the grey cells working harder from time to time otherwise it wouldnt be a 'challenge' so well done to all those who took part and had a go at it!
There seemed to be a lot of confusion around this one and it appears some people were using a 7 colour wheel which is why we said its important to look at the tutorial which uses 12. The reason we use this is its an artists colour wheel and is frequently printed in cardmaking and scrapbook magazines so sorry for any confusion but please do take a look, There is a fantastic colour wheel at the bottom showing so many tints and tones which I have printed and hung above my desk for quick reference :)

Anyways moving on lol! We had 28 entries and random.org says the winner of tha Joanna Sheen voucher is......NUMBER 20 making it CARO


Well Done Caro, please email me your details to pass onto Joanna x

Our Top 3 in alphabetical order are...




Happy Days



Well Done ladies for your beautiful creations, please grab a blinkie from the side bar!

Some great news too! Lisa, our last special guest Tracy and our first special guest Sheila have all got on the Karen's Doodles UK design team, well done all!

******************************************
CHALLENGE 16 - A FEMININE CELEBRATION

Our challenge is A Feminine Celebration so please include a female of any form somewhere on your project. This can include female animals and critters or girls like Anyas, Tilda or perhaps something more arty like flapper girls, a wide choice for you!




Our sponsor for thie challenge is The Stampman who are offering a £10 gift voucher for their store. They have a myriad of wonderful products in their shop including an offer on all 12 of the new Tim Holtz distress inks (Which they are also offering as blog candy on their blog)
There are beautiful Hero Arts items including flowers and the new Clings and they also have the newest cuttlebug folders including the gorgeous Jules Jewels.
Pop over and have a peek as they have such a huge range of products for all tastes!

The Stampman have some new releases imminent and are giving sneak peeks on their blog. I've seen them in their entirity and ooooooooh what a treat!


Our DT have come up with some wonderfully varied creations for you for this challenge, thank you ladies!

Jack

I used a cream A5 card blank to start with. Then I cut the edges of a piece of Laura Ashley paper (Traditional) with my Martha Steward Deep Edge Punch (Garden Trellis) and mounted it onto the card. I stamped one of the ladies from the Delartful Leo's Plate in Ultramarine StazOn and cut it out with my oval Nestabilities (using my Cuttlebug), then matted it onto another Nestie oval in dark blue. The flowers are paper and are from my stash, as are the flower shaped brads. The ribbon is from some I got ages ago from good old Woolworths.










This challenge is for a Female Card, so as Mothers day is at the end of the Week, I have choosen Mothers day. I really went to town on this one, I wanted to do something special for my mummy. I have created a book card with the letters of Mummy on each page. I have used scrummy papers and lots of Sir Tims distress inks on this, building up each page in colour and shimmer. I used mica powders mixed with inkabilities and sprayed and sprayed, so the colours ran and mixed together. I have included a photo of each of her children on the back of one of the pages. Shes always moaning we are never together, so now she has one photo page of us all. I punched out the flowers from the papers i used. I did faux stitching on all the pages in a white gel pen, just to sort of bring it together.





Lisa







Mandy

The challenge this week is to use in image of a lady on your card. I knew immediately I wanted to use the smashing papers by Debbi Moore that came with Issue 13 of Creative Cardmaking magazine.

The Art Deco ladies are so very elegant and in particular I wanted to use the purple one in honour of Purple Day which is the 26th March. This is a day to help bring awareness to Epilepsy and all you have to do is wear the colour purple. My beloved husband has suffered with Epilepsy all his life and there is a lot of stigma attached to it due to ignorance of the condition.

All the papers and elements are from the paper pack. I have added the patterned ribbon strips to a rich purple ribbon and created a layered flower using Primas, a bead cap and glittered brad. I have created depth with 3D foam pads and added lots of bling to the frame and floral accents in the main picture.






The image is from Digital pencil too and is called Kesha. I coloured her using Copic markers and chalks. The copics used are:Skin - R32, R20 and E04Hair - Y15, Y17, E21, E35, and E37 Dress and Ribbons - R20, R32, E04, BG10, BG23 and BG34
I added some punched flowers to the basket and her ribbon in her hair.Then added flowersoft to the basket as well as some falling out of her hand to the ground.
I embossed a piece of parchment paper using a cuttlebug embossing folderand then coloured it in with chalks. The pattern papers are from MyMind's Eye - Pretty Please Spring Papers that came free in a magazine.I used Nestability dies to cut the circles. The ribbon is white ribbon that I coloured using R20 and BG34 copic markers. I added gems to the scalloped circle. Then I mounted it on to a card blank I created using scalloped cutter on my guillotine.







For this week's challenge I had a request from my Mom's friend to make a Birthday card to a 80 year old Sister, so as it's a faminine theme I thought it would fit the challenge perfect. As you can imagine this called for a different style....one I am not used to but I am pretty impressed with the outcome.I think it's on the lines of " Shabby Chic" and you can find all the detail's for this card in my blog post, with some step by step idea's.









The image I've used for this challenge is by Sweet Pea called The serene night. I wanted to keep the colours very soft for a very feminine feel so I changed my usual skin colour choice slightly to keep it soft. Its coloured with promarkers and I coloured the ribbon and leaves to match. I made the bead charm and it has flower shaped beads and cats eyes with a butterfly charm.


Our special guest is Cindy Royal who makes the most delightful cards and keepsakes. Cindy is extremely talented and designs for Karen's Doodles, Digital Delights and Delightful Sketches and has been a guest designer for a number of blogs. Cindy uses a wide range of products, techniques and styles on her blog which is packed with inspiration. She also decorates the insides beautifully!


Over to you Cindy!


SPECIAL GUEST DESIGNER - CINDY ROYAL - ROYAL THINGS




1. How did you get into cardmaking and how did you get to where you are now?
I haven't been making cards all that long. Actually, it's two years this month. I'm not sure what got me started. I've always loved to create and craft and I was just cruising the internet and kept seeing lovely cards using rubber stamps and Sizzix cuts and knew I could have fun doing this. Of course my cards from 2 years ago, consisting of a layer or two of paper and mediocre pencil coloring, are a lot different from my cards of today with multiple layers of cardstock on the front and both inside surfaces, stitching, colored with Copics, cricut cut embellishments, etc. My initial interest in it has snowballed into an obsession!





2. Who's work inspires you and where else do you find inspiration?
Oh, everyone's work inspires me. I have hundreds of blogs subscribed to in my Google Reader and I spend a lot of time every day scrolling through it, oohing and ahhing over the creations I see. Even if I'm not overly fond of the total creation or the image, many times the colors or a particular embellishment or technique will shout out to me. They are all great, from the most simple to the most complex; great because they are hand made by someone who loves the hobby as much as I do. Blogs, forums, and galleries are just full of eye candy and inspiration!






3. What are the last 3 items you bought and what did you like about them? I treated myself to a few more Copics! They are just awesome for coloring with shading and the more I use them, the more comfortable and confident I become with them. No one should be afraid to use them or think they aren't good enough. I also love that I can color embellishments with them to match my image colors.





Digital Images! Definitely hooked on them! My life is such that I'm really busy with work and family, so my creative time sometimes falls short. I love having a handful of digital images all printed in the sizes I want and ready to go, so when time allows, I can grab them and my Copics and get a little coloring time in. No muss, no fuss.... I'm pretty messy with ink pads and embossing powder!





A Cricut Cartridge! I love adding paper cuts from my Cricut to my cards. It's just a nice final touch that often brings everything together on the card or adds a little fun to it.






4. Describe your workspace!

My work space is scattered across a couple of rooms! and a total disaster! I use one main craft table for cutting and assembling and no matter how hard I try, it is always a complex, jumbled mess of paper scraps, tools, embellishments, adhesives, etc. I can clean it up and start out with a good couple of square feet of clear space and by the time I'm a few minutes into creating, there's not even the space of a postage stamp left clear!






5. Your top 3 tips
My tips aren't technique or tool related, but more on the line of your mindset.





1. Don't be afraid to try something new just because you think you aren't good enough. Go for it. Even if it doesn't come out the way you wanted or expect; chances are it will be even better, just different.




2. Go easy on yourself. I'm guilty of being overly critical of my own work, sometimes really not liking the outcome, when it's a perfectly fine card, loved by others. We are our own worst critics. Lighten up. The paper crafting police will not come to get you.





3. Don't like where your project is heading? Set is aside for a while, even days, and go back to it with a fresh look. Many of my cards are colored, cut and laid out for days. I will go back and just glance at it now and then, rearranging or just reconsidering what's been done, before I settle on the final creation, often quite pleased with what I ended up doing.

Thank you very much Cindy!

132 comments:

  1. all lovely cards ladies well done
    jackiep

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely challenge! Here's my card http://lisasparkleandstamps.blogspot.com/2010/03/goodbye-and-good-luck-card.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely cards girls. Missing doing the challenges but study has to be done (well once i get off bejewelled) keep up the good work... love jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your cards are beautiful - such diversity.
    here's mine

    Lynne.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooooo fab challenge! I havn't entered in a while but here's mine
    Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the challenge! Love all the DT-cards. Here is my card
    Hugs Monika

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great challenge! I love all the DT's creations :)

    Here's my card

    - Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a great challenge. Here is my creations, http://thecraftycritter.blogspot.com/2010/03/happy-birthday-critter-challenge-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome challenge! Here is my card. Thanks for looking!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great challenge! Happy to join in :-)
    Here's my card:
    http://irascreacorner.blogspot.com/2010/03/marie-antoinette-wall-hanger.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. This challenge is so apt at the moment. I love the dt examples - well done girls.
    Mine can be found at - http://bumblebeesandbutterflieswithbrenda.blogspot.com/2010/03/elegance.html
    Many thanks. Luv Bxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi mine entry is here:
    http://debbie-thedolphins.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some great cards DT. Here is my Card Thanks Gloria M.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab DT cards..mine can be found here thanks..Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab design team cards/projects. Great challenge. Here's my card. Hugs Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great challenge and lovely cards from the DT!
    Here is my card.
    Anne :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely challenge and what lovely DT cards.

    Here is my card for this challenge

    Best wishes

    Kym xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love girly cards!
    Here is my Entry
    Thanks for a lovely challenge!
    Clairexx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great challenge. Lovely DT cards and Here is my card Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great challenge, thanks to the DT for the inspiration Here is my card

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brill cards everyone as usual xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely cards ladies you can find mine HERE

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great Challenge!!! Here is my card.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the DT cards!

    I hope I am not to late.
    here is my card

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just found your challenge through Susie's blog :0)
    Fab challenge and gorgeous cards from the DT x
    Here's my card..
    Thanks for looking x
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Here's my entry for the challenge! http://deconstructingjen.com/archives/1876

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely challenge and great dt work. My card is here
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great challenge...hope my entry counts...it features a woman, but as part of a couple. you can see it here

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous DT cards and great theme. You can see my card here. Hugs, Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Enjoyed reading Cindy's interview, will take some thoughts away from that, and she used some beautiful papers on her card.
    Link to my attempt-
    Here's my card

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome cards! Here is my card. Thanks, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great cards from the design team....
    Here is my card.....
    MY CARD

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is my 2nd entry love the Dt cards!
    Here’s my entry
    hugs judex:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh wow the DT's creations are gorgeous. Here is my take on the challenge over at DOING LIFE
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great challenge with fab DT creations too, Here's my card
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful creations, great challenge
    Here is my card
    thanks
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Well, my mom is a form right? Here's my card for consideration. My Card Here

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a great challenge, and such lovely samples from the DT! You can see my entry here.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lovely challenge girls I love anything delicate, soft and feminine. This is my card.
    Hugs Shirley x x x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Some fabullous cards from the dT here is my card
    Lisa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Heres another from me, didnt realise I'd already had an entry!
    Here is my Entry
    Clairexx

    ReplyDelete
  42. My card on my blog. Thanks!
    http://vivsvisuals.blogspot.com/2010/03/oriental-miss.html

    ReplyDelete
  43. Here's my entry:

    http://melissa75-melsmess.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-mothers-day-card.html

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful job ladies!!! And it's a wonderful challenge!

    Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  45. Gorgeous Samples girls!
    My Female is Here!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Gorgeous cards girls, fab challenge.
    Here's my entry
    hugs Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. Gorgeous cards ladies, well done. Sorry I missed this challenge, made my card feminine but with popcorn oops should have read it had to be a female, never mind will come in handy xx

    ReplyDelete
  48. Gorgeous creations from the DT. Here is my entry. Hugs Suzi x

    ReplyDelete
  49. Gorgeous DT cards! Thanks for a great challenge.

    Here's mine

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  50. gorgeous creations ladies, heres my card

    Love n hugs
    Vikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  51. Gorgeous cards ladies, mine is here
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi this is my second entry, hope that OK. Here's my creation
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  53. The DT have excelled themselves.

    Here's mine.

    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  54. Great inspirations Ladies...
    Here is my take.
    http://kayscreativecorner.blogspot.com/2010/03/think-green.html

    ReplyDelete
  55. Great challenge I love the DT creations. Thank you so much for putting me in your top 3 I am so happy :D


    Here is my entry

    X Amy X

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thanks for the chance of winning, here is a link too my card im entering http://www.docrafts.com/content/members/gallery/lar Juliexge/219627-2010313-231533.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  57. Great job by the DT's. Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  58. Heres my entry
    http://dawniesden.blogspot.com/2010/03/pollycraft-design-images.html

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi lovely work by the DT here is my entry
    http://daziepatch.blogspot.com/2010/03/sunny-spring-sunday.html

    Thanks
    Dazie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  60. I also made a layout for this challenge. You can see it here

    ReplyDelete
  61. Lovely challenge and cards!
    Here is my card.
    Hugs, Andreja

    ReplyDelete
  62. lovely cards..her is my one..
    http://fiscardsandcrafts.blogspot.com/2010/03/happy-birthday_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  63. My card:
    http://papierowamargaretka.blogspot.com/2010/03/w-kolorze-wina.html

    ReplyDelete
  64. Loving the DT cards - great inspiration!

    here is my entry

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  65. This was too much FUN! Thanks for the great DT examples! My card can be found at
    http://julietemple.blogspot.com/2010/03/lavendar-tilda.html

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  66. Great challenge! My entry is Here
    Love and hugs ~ Lori

    ReplyDelete
  67. Here is another one from me :) You can see my card here. Hugs, Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  68. Some lovely DT cards you can view mine Here
    Beccy

    ReplyDelete
  69. Sorry about that, I thought my link would go to the bubble bath card, that's the one for this challenge, I'll try again-
    Here's the Bubble Bath entry

    ReplyDelete
  70. I'm a newbie to this group but great inspiration - Thank you! My Card

    ReplyDelete
  71. Wow what great cards. They are all beautiful. Come by Big Mamma's Stamping House right HERE and check out my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  72. here is mine

    http://nogards-space.blogspot.com/2010/03/fairy-birthday.html

    ReplyDelete
  73. http://daydreamstamper.blogspot.com/2010/03/feminine-celebration.html

    Fantastic cards from all the DT team
    Here is my

    ReplyDelete
  74. What great cards from the DT! Here is my card:
    http://craftingwithdarsie.blogspot.com/2010/03/happy-st-patricks-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  75. Love the challenge and the DT cards! Here's my card, please come and take a look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  76. I just found your challenge for the first time and decided I wanted to enter, love all the DT cards and love how the designers all wrote a little bit of background to each of their projects. You'll find my card here.
    Jenni x

    ReplyDelete
  77. Great theme this time & even more fab DT cards Here's mine!

    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  78. Fab D cards, and so nice to read more about Cindy. You'll find my entry HERE
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  79. So many gorgeous cards! Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Great cards. Here is my card.
    Thanks for looking
    Cathy xx

    ReplyDelete
  81. Here is my third and final entry for this challenge.

    (Please ignore the comment I just left ~ link is incorrect ~ sorry about that!)

    ReplyDelete
  82. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  83. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Sorry for the broken link!!! This should send you right to the post Here
    Love and hugs ~ Lori

    ReplyDelete
  85. Hi Girls i had another go :) heres my card

    Love n hugs
    Vikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  86. Boy Mr. Linkey would be soo much easier..Here's My Entry

    ReplyDelete
  87. great challenge here is my card

    http://kymkreations.blogspot.com/2010/03/finally.html

    ReplyDelete
  88. Women tend to be forgotten as they are always taking care of every one else. It's nice to celebrate ladies! Here’s my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  89. Hi Girls, it's such a fab theme I had to have another go - hope that's ok. You can see my card here. Hugs, Denise x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining in our challenges and leaving lovely comments.