We are grateful for our lovely followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday 14 November 2011

Challenge #56 Recycle and DT Call

Our challenge this time is for you to recycle something and use it on your project. This was my crazy idea so I will be picking our Top 5 and Winner. So what do we define as recycling? Well you could for example turn a pringles container into a pen pot, the inside of a parcel tape roll to make a jewellery box. Alternatively just something on the project that is recycled, ie corrugated cardboard for background, bits of sweet box ribbon, shiny foil etc. The possibilities are endless and I am sure appeal to the little hoarder inside all of us Crafters.
We're very kindly sponsored again by the lovely Joanna Sheen who is offering a £10 voucher for her online shop which is crammed full of goodies with new stock arriving all the time! Thanks once again Joanna!
image

To see how how the team interpreted the challenge please scroll down, but first I have some winners and top 5s to announce. As you may have noticed Vix posted our last challenge as I had other commitments and so the winner for the previous challenge #54 Cute With a Dark Twist was not announced the winner for that one is
image
image
44 Lisa
Yes I know there are only 4, Sarah chose number 16 also in her top 5 as well as being her winner.
Our winner and top 5 for Challenge #55 Colour Combo are
image
image
28 - Hunter (aged 4)
Would our winners kindly contact me via the email link in the right hand sidebar and I will sort out your prizes.  Please feel free to display our winners and Top 5 badges.
Before we start with this week’s challenge, I am having a quick DT call as we have a few members poorly at the moment and one stepped down so I would like to strengthen the team. If you are interested please put DT after your entry and we will pop along to your blog and have a look. Our requirements are
We do not offer rewards, although occasionally we may have Sponsors who might offer items to use for the challenge (normally digital) and you should be prepared to use these when offered.
We are interested in people who are willing to try different styles or showcase their own particular technique, perhaps with the occasional tutorial as we aim to be a resource for the newer crafter as well as the more experienced one. So you might like the CAS approach or excel in shabby chic, altered art, steampunk or maybe you are a scrapper. Whatever your talent we could have space for you on the team.
Your commitment will be to produce up to two projects per month and to contribute with ideas for challenges. We take it in turns to host the weekly challenge and it will be your responsibility when it is your week to choose a Top 5 and winner. You will also be responsible for commenting on entries, including to the challenges you do not participate in yourself, and to that end you will be assigned a number to comment on. For example all entries ending with 1, 2, etc. 10% of the total entries.
We will be taking a break in Mid December, so please don’t let the proximty to Christmas put you off from applying.
Now back to this week’s challenge, and what the team came up with.
 Lin
CCM 56
I went a bit mental, or should that me metal, with mine. Firstly the image was stamped onto the back of a box of cereal and coloured with cosmic shimmer micas mixed to a paint with water. The borders, swirls and flower were all made from recycled coke cans. I should issue a word of warning here, be VERY careful when you are handling them as I ended up with a sliver of metal in my thumb which took ages to fish out. After I had trimmed down the cans I added alcohol inks and left them to dry then I cut out two swirls with a Die-Namics die and two borders using an EK Success punch. The flower was a combo of S!r T!m of Hotlz' Tattered Florals Die and a small punch for the centre of the flower, plus a brad. It got a little messy on the edge of my image because I attempted to stick the flourishes down with glue gel, which didn't work. In the end I went for Stick and Stay. Full details on my blog.
image
image
I had to take out the project I had on here before as I blogged about it back in September!
I just made this new one today - it started life as a presentation box which I found lying about behind the scenes at the library, I decided it would make a good storage box for my thin dies such as my Nesties and Marianne's Creatables. Many of them are on magnetic sheets which fit well into the box - best of all there is plenty of room for more!!
I covered the box with K&Co papers and distressed the edges, added faux stitching to the panel on top then used die cut chipboard letters as well as a die cut bird and flourish to decorate.
image
My effort isn't anywhere near as arty or as fabulous as Jenni's, this was a container for hot chocolate by a well known chocolate manufacturer. After wiping out the inside I measured the circumference , cut my paper, punched the top and rolled it round the tub. I cut the letters from some silver paper and stuck them on. It really is foam pads in there I bought a huge wheel of pads at the NEC in the summer and when I opened them needed somewhere to store them all.
image
I don't often make things that aren't cards, so I had to give this challenge some thought! I eventually came across a sturdy little box which originally had some costume jewellery in it, and had the manufacturer's name across the lid. I decided it would make a lovely little gift box for Christmas, so I set to with paper, mirror board, punches, dies and some ribbon!
image
This Christmas cracker started life as an empty loo roll tube (before pic on my blog). I used some pretty glittery tissue paper as the base, last years Christmas papers, a pretty self adhesive border & some red raffia to tie the ends. I finished it off with a FF bear sticker. There's a perfume spray inside which I hope will make a nice Christmas gift for someone.
image

image
For the cover of my little notebook I used a old pasteboard. I receive so many parcels with stamps, PP, embellies etc (hopefully my husband will never read this *lol*) and therefore I needed a possibility to recycle it. I divided the top coat from the rest of the pasteboard - so it looks shabby chic.
Few stickers, tulle and an overlay and my little notebook was ready.
image 
I decided to do something with my pen pot.  For the past 3 years it has been a simple, unadorned Smash container.  You may wonder why I went with a musical theme for a pen pot, but that was dictated by the lovely paper I used from Stampin' Up.  I has adverts for music on it so I partnered it with stamps from Aspects of Design called Classical Music, then added some lace to finish it off.
image
My family consider me to be somewhat of a hoarder (I take after my Mum lol ) so I'm sure that they will be thrilled to see that I actually made use of some of the so called 'rubbish'.
I have used the inside of a roll of DSST to create this shaker card, along with some wonderful Christmas stamps, nesties, acetate, flower soft and glitter. I even painted with coffee, how about that for recycling!
image
My 2 gift tags started life out as the cardboard in a board-backed envelope. I die cut this really sturdy cardboard (with a struggle lol) in my cuttlebug with a tag shaped die. Then I covered them with Tim Holtz music tissue tape. I then inked over the tape with Antique Linen distress ink.The white part of the snowflakes is also recyled from an old white envelope, which I cut into snowflakes using my Cricut, I also cut some smaller snowflakes from silver mirror card.The white buttons and ribbon are both from an old dress of my daughters.To finish I added some stickles to the snowflakes and to the ends of the ribbon.
image
image
I have used an empty box that I was given some beautiful cosmetics in as the base for my desk tidy. To make the holders for the scissors, I used the tube from the centre of a roll of wrapping paper. The centre of sticky tape rolls formed the structure of the larger compartment, while the lid from a spray can made the smaller one! It was all spray painted gold - with my trusty edgabilities cutting the decorative paper. And a strip of sticky covered in gilding flakes finished off the centre!!
image
image
My Girls at 15 & 16  don't have stockings at Christmas anymore so instead each year I find something to decorate and place under the tree for them!!  As you can see from the before and after shots I've taken one of  favourite coffee cans and Jazzed it up as a gift tin for one of my girls! I Have covered my can with paper from the Forever Friends Cozy Christmas range. The strips of glitter I did with strips of  double sided sticky tape and the covered with Pixie Stix glitter, The Snowflakes are cut from Mirri card with Mariannes Snowflake dies and attached with pearl brads after I used a very strong Pokey tool !!
Don’t forget to stop by their blogs and give them some love.
Please remember the rules, particularly not entering your creation  into anymore than 15 challenges including ours. Enjoy and we look forward to seeing just how frugal you are and what you can recycle.

Butterfly 2 Signature Lin


8 comments:

  1. thank you so much for choosing my project as one of your top picks and a top 5! love the DT members' creations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great challenge! New to your blog, now following and looking forward to playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great challenge, girls! Thank you!
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, thanks so much for picking my entry for one of your top 5's! That makes me so happy, and to see that I was also the winner is just fabulous!

    The email link in your sidebar doesnt work for me (it says my default mail client is not properly installed and I have no idea what that means), so i hope I have emailed the right address to claim the prize. If not, can you email me at applesandpearscards@hotmail.co.uk

    I shall put the badge on my blog with pride!

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thanks so much for choosing my card for top 5! LOVE the DT projects...WOW. Really inspires me to try it myself... Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woowhoooo Im so glad for a recycle challenge. I hope you like the chocolate box I recycled and put tonnes of my handmade flowers on it. Yeah, cant wait to see who wins. Lee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic and cool ideas creations!
    -Sony

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely DT works ...

    Annette xx

    http://paperpiecingbyannette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining in our challenges and leaving lovely comments.